Visual Art Exhibitions at the LACA!
The Ludington Area Center for the Arts hosts a variety of free visual art exhibitions and events throughout the year in the LACA Gallery. Exhibits are free and open to the public during current Arts Center business hours. Come in and check out what is new in Your Arts Center Gallery! The LACA highlights original works of art by local, regional and Michigan artists.
Have an idea for an upcoming exhibit? Submit a proposal to our programming selection committee.
Current exhibit to enjoy in the Gallery:
"Iconic Images & Cameras" by Photographer John Mickevich
Mason County native, John Mickevich, prefers the “hands on” approach of film photography and will exhibit his iconic images in the Main Gallery of the Ludington Area Center for the Arts in April and May.
Mickevich says he always has enjoyed taking pictures, but he never really did anything serious with photography until about 2010. That's when he purchased a Nikon D7000 and enjoyed using it. And, about a year later, he tried film photography and found that he enjoyed that process and the “hands on” approach even more.
Born and raised in rural Mason County, between Scottville and Fountain, he is a 1982 graduate of Mason County Central and a 1985 graduate of West Shore Community College. He has lived all his life in Mason County except for a 12-year period working in Saginaw. He works as a computer consultant specializing in Power servers and networking.
He currently does both film and digital, but leans more towards the film as a preference. As his interest In film photography increased, he researched developing film, starting with black and white and then moving on to color negative film and to slide film after that. His film formats range from 110 up to 4x5 large format and he develops all of these.
“I also enjoy producing silver gelatin and gum bichromate prints in the dark room. Wet plate photography is probably one of the next things on my list that I would like to try.”
His favorite camera? “At this point in time it is the Bronica ETRSi medium format camera.”
Mickevich's exhibit “Iconic Images and Cameras” will be displayed April 4 through May 30.
Current Exhibit to enjoy in the Performance Hall Lobby
"Making Faces" by Pastel Artist Marie Marfia
"Making Faces" is a selection of pastel portraits from Marie Marfia's 100 Portraits project, during which she painted a portrait a day over a period of 3-4 months. The portraits were based mostly on "selfie" photos sent to her from friends and family and through Facebook. Sales from that project resulted in $800 raised for the American Cancer Society.
Marie Marfia recently returned to Mason County after living in the Jacksonville, Fla. for several years. She enjoys painting skeletons, waves, belly dancers, vegetables, smiling faces, people on the beach and women on magic carpets.
She received her bachelor of fine arts degree from Kendall College of Art & Design in Grand Rapids. For the next 30 years she worked as a graphic designer, honing her compositional skills and learning how to work under deadlines. In 2011, she picked up pastels to try her hand at fine art painting, and promptly fell in love with the medium.
She currently lives in Fountain with her husband, Steve Oliver and two happy dogs.
The Arts Center is open Tuesdays, Thursdays & Fridays from 11-4 and Saturdays from 12-3. It is Free and Open to the Public.
Coming in June-July:
A retrospective exhibit by Ann Salisbury, Epworth artist.
March - Cuba! Photography by three Northwest Michigan photographers.
- December 2015 -January 2016-Handmade Musical Instruments Exhibit
- February-March - Drawing Conclusions Exhibit featuring original comic book, graphic novel, fantasy, and cartoon-style art and illustrations.
- April-May - OJ DeJonge Middle School Exhibit
- June-July - Carol Garneau Legacy Retrospective Exhibit
- August-September - Social Justices Issues: Art Object and Installations by Pentwater High School Art Students
- August-September – Betty Knight Silander Retrospective Exhibit
2015 Exhibits Previously at LACA
- November- Autism Awareness Exhibit
- September-October - Yvonne Carlson- A Retrospective
- August - Character Creature Features - Collaboration between 3rd and 7th grade students at Pentwater Schools. Art Teacher Carrie Jeruzal.
- June and July, “In the Forest”—recent paintings by GVSU faculty member Jill Eggers
- May - O.J. DeJonge Middle School Student Art Exhibit - featuring a collection of a variety of different media that students study at OJ DeJonge, influenced by artists such as Georgia O'Keeffe, Frida Kahlo, and Eric Carl and art movements such as Impressionism, Fauvism, Expressionism and Cubism. Jen McWilliams-Knee - Middle School Art Teacher.
- April - Earth Day Celebration - Call to Artist Exhibit featuring works from over 30 Michigan artists that explore the natural world, share an environmental message and propose new ways to co-exist with the environment.
- March - Emerald Expressions Exhibition - featuring original Ireland Travelogue photography by Rob & Becky Alway.
2014 Exhibits Previously at LACA
- December 2014-February 2015 - Maritime Heritage Ship and Lighthouse Exhibit - Port of Ludington Maritime Museum Celebration.
- November - Type 56 and the Invisible Wounds of War - An exhibition of photo collages depicting images from a Vietnam veteran's nightmares of war.
- October - Foster Elementary Kids Create! - An Exhibit of Original Art Created by Foster Elementary 3rd-5th grade students - Scott Bentz Art Teacher.
- September - National Parks Road Trip Photography Exhibit - featuring original photography by Karen West.
- June -August - Botanicals Exhibit - invitational exhibit featuring artist's interpretation of plant life in all its forms
- May-June - Carolyn Damstra Exhibit featuring Carolyn's recent paintings of the Leelanau Penninsula
News & AnnouncementsNo news found.
Visit our gift shop
The gift shop at the Ludington Area Center for the Arts features artworks from artists throughout Michigan. Our collection now includes selected merchandise from the Sable Points Lighthouse Keepers Association.
Ludington Area Center for the Arts
107 S. Harrison Street
Ludington, MI 49431
Business Hours -
Open - Tuesday, Thursday, Friday –11:00 - 4:00pm, Saturdays 12-3